“Transitional Kindergarten” is a developmentally-scaled program that is designed to serve as a bridge between preschool and kindergarten. Sometimes referred to as “Junior Kindergarten,” its aim is to provide students with the time and learning environment necessary to develop the skills needed for a successful entry into kindergarten.
This program is for students age four to five years old, all of which will be assessed in order to assure program-readiness.
- Curriculum – The Investigators – This is a program aligned with the California Curriculum recommendations and helps provide a framework for early childhood education.
- Play-based learning environment with investigation and discovery as key elements of learning
- Emphasis on literacy (Reading and Language Development), Writing, Mathematics, and Choice Centers (Art, Dramatic Play, Blocks, etc.)
- Special subjects will include: Music, Art, PE, and Movement
- Rest/Quiet time: 12:45pm – 2:15pm
- Certified teacher and full-time aide in the classroom.
- Full Day, M – TH, 8am – 3pm/F 8am – 12:30pm
Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten
- Specifically designed for children who need time to develop socially, emotionally, physically and/or intellectually prior to Kindergarten.
- Acts as a bridge between a flexible, pre-kindergarten environment and the more structured academic setting of kindergarten.
- Serves as an introduction to the California Kindergarten Standards, including developmentally appropriate elements of instruction in literacy and numeracy.